Sunday, February 10, 2013

Abu Simbel

The Great Temple at Abu Simbel (here by customBRICKS) was completed around 1265 BC and was dedicated to the gods Amun, Ra-Horakhty, and Ptah, and also to the Pharoah Ramses the Great, shown here as a god. The temple was moved in 1964 when the original site was scheduled to be submerged by the Aswan High Dam. The tumbled-down statue, though, dates to ancient times - when they moved the temple they decided to leave it as it was rather than reconstructing it.


No comments:

Post a Comment